Site Inactive
Last Forum Posts
ebonhawke.typefrag.com:8395

Kinship NewsFeed Icon
No News Is Currently Available.

Kinship NewsFeed Icon
No News Is Currently Available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Remnants of Annúminas Forum Index -> The Prancing Pony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aridor
Officer
Watcher of Roads

re: The Golden Flower

Dimming of the Golden Flower

We fell that night. All our glory and splendor shattered and smashed to pieces by the dread armies of Angband. Orc, troll, warg, dragon, and Balrog did burn our fair city. Blood and fire filled the streets and squares. By surprise and guile was our fair city taken. Though outnumbered and caught unawares we did not go silently. Dearly did the enemy win a victory that day. In the great market square our lord and captain general did rally the warriors of his house. To this day I will not forget the sight of Glorfindel holding the standard of the house as he mounted a pile of rubble and called to his knights and warriors. His sword shone brightly as the fires burned about the city and chaos and disorder were winning the day. I wiped soot and blood from my face and looked up at my lord and commander and saw no fear in his eyes. He pointed his sword at the breach in the wall and I will never forget these words he spoke.

“To me! To me knights of the Golden Flower! Stand fast and hold back this black tide! You have long trained and fought by my side. You have followed me without question and now I ask but one more thing of you. Give not one more step! Make them pay in blood for every stone of our city! If we are to die this day we will give such a fight that our foes will forever cower at our name and dread the memory of our standard. You my knights are the finest warriors of Gondolin! Now stand firm and prove your valour! Nandolin take your archers the back of the square and blacken the sky with your arrows! Focus on the trolls as they come and ground the dragons! Dolverin form a shield wall on the southern side and give no ground! Megilagor form the knights in the center and drive back the enemy! Gilrain hold your men in reserve and support your comrades! Now swords out and steel your hearts! No matter what our foe we will not give ground. Remember you duty and do not falter! Let every warrior do his duty this day and not fail his city!”

A loud cheer we sounded and to our places we ran. I took my knights to the center and rallied their hearts. I looked back behind me and saw my brother leading his company of archers. He looked at me and offered naught but a slight nod of his head with a grim and cold face. The glee and laughter were gone from what was once a cheerful and youthful face to be replaced by stone and duty. I clapped my fist over my heart and returned his gesture. No words needed to be said between us that day. We would make our father proud of our valour whether in death or victory. We looked at each other for a short moment till he looked up and motioned with his head towards the black smoke rising and billowing over the city. I turned and placed my hand upon my lieutenant’s shoulder. The glow of the fires danced in the brilliant reflection of his golden armor as he turned to look at me.

“What are your orders commander?” Maethallor said as he readied his sword. I looked up at the sky where starlight could still be seen among the billowing clouds and spoke softly.

“Stand and fight. Our orders are clear we will not give any ground. If the enemy wants the great market will make them pay in a score of bodies for every stone. Keep your men tight Maethallor and show no weakness in the line. If we are to die this day and our city is to fall we will make it an end that will be in song till the end of days.”
Maethallor smiled and let out his unquenchable laughter. “Let them come! Even if in death we will sing. Come friends no matter what the darkness cannot reach our hearts, so die with laughter in your hearts and a song on your lips.”

Our men cheered and laughed some grim some like children. I smiled at Maethallor. He ever had an unquenchable spirit. He strode to the front of his company and raised his sword high and let loose in a clear and undaunted voice a battlecry that mixed with laughter. “Aure Entuluva!” The knights took up the shout and laughed as the horde of black orcs like ants came down the streets. Dolverin the grim let a smile crack his face at the shout and his soldiers began crashing sword and spear against shield as they took up the battlecry. I looked to my right where my lord Glorfindel stood with an undaunted smile on his face. He took the standard from his esquire and shouted in a great voice the battle cry. The orcs stopped at the cry and cowed in the light our faces. Glorfindel laughed and pointed his sword at the orcs.
“Look my friends they fear you even now and you have yet to drain them of life! They do remember then the battle cry of the men of Dol-lomin! Now is the time to repay that debt! Take up their battlecry and fear no darkness! Day shall come again!”

The whole house cheered in a loud rousing cry that was cut short as a mass of shadow and flame came into the square. Balrogs and their servants came into the square followed by fierce trolls and drakes. They whipped and drove the orcs towards our lines. Glorfindel ran forward to his knights and I followed him. I stood there next to him and our standard as the monsters charged our lines. Arrows showered upon the orcs like rain in a fierce storm. Only numbering one hundred and forty our archers made such a show that day that they fought like four times their number. The square was full of bodies before the orcs reached our lines, but the bows of Nandolin’s forces were not enough to stop that onslaught. The arrows did naught to the Balrogs and their dread servants. The enemy crashed into our line as we let out a might warcry. Fierce and bloody was the fighting. I know not how many orcs fell to my blade that day. Even as I thrust my sword through one I felt the weight of three more against my shield. I could see to my right as Glorfindel stood like an untouchable tower of moving steel and bronze. His sword aflame with his wrath and carving through his foes as it sliced the legs from trolls and parried the flaming swords of the Rogmul. His skill alone was holding the center of our line. To my left I saw Dolverin’s shield wall holding tight against a great press of orcs. Like flaming tongues the swords and spears of his line shot out and stabbed his enemies. The orcs were piling up before the wall of shields like it was made of unbreakable stone. My knights stood next to our lord and took the great assault of the flame and shadow. A drake came upon me and spewed forth flame scorching and burning us. I saw four of my knights fall to the fire. I raised my shield and charged it with a loud cry. I felt its heat blast against my shield as I stabbed at its feet. I bled it and slashed it. Maethallor I saw ran to aid me but was stopped by an immense and armored troll. He and three others fought the troll as I struggle alone against the drake. It was too much for me alone with orcs coming at me from behind. I had over extended myself and saw orcs between me and the line. A great swipe of the drake’s claw sent me to the ground and it rose up to crush me in its jaws when like a strike of lighting a dozen arrows pierced the roof of its mouth. The beast thrashed back and scattered orcs in its death throws. I rolled and jumped to my feet as Maethallor appeared at my side and I made a retreat to our lines. Yet no rest was I to have as had I not just returned to the protection of my men that three of the balrog’s servants came upon us and begain carving into our line. Their blows were fierce and strong. Fire burst out and scorched us every time we clashed swords. I could feel their heat as the wicked curved blades smashed against mine. They seemed untouchable as their speed blocked every attack I sent against them. Though for once numbers were upon our side as the orcs feared to approach them and the knights of the Golden Flower attacked them from all sides and brought them to a screaming end. Our fair golden armor was covered in black blood and soot as we charged the Balrog dueling with Glorfindel. We lost a dozen brave knights attempting to down the creature. At last though we had the victory though it was dearly won. Glorfindel drove his sword through its chest as we hewed its legs and caused it to stumble. It fell to the ground and Glorfindel brought his sword down upon its neck with a mighty swing and to the head from the great terror as he shouted, “Aure Entuluva!” A great cheer sounded as the line saw the demon fall. I looked about and saw though the knights were at half their strength and pushed out too far from the line. I turned to my lord and shouted.

“My lord we must fall back to the line lest we be cut off and surrounded.”

He looked up from the burning smoking hulk of the Balrog and saw our salient position. He nodded and shouted for us to fall back to the lines. He turned and faced the pressing orcs and slowly we stepped backward as they pushed against our shields and fell to our swords. The black blood flowed and stained the city streets. It seemed like hours as we fell back towards the line. We were almost back in line with the rest of the soldiers when three trolls charged us in attempt to cut us off and surround us. One threw Maethallor to the ground and lifted his foot to crush him when it was struck with a barrage of arrows. I grabbed Maethallor and lifted him up. I glanced backwards and saw my brother directing his archers to cover our retreat. Whenever any troll or worm attempted to pincer the sailient from the shield wall they were met with a storm of arrows. As we rejoined the lines Glorfindel looked back and shouted towards the archers. “Well shot captain Hathrodhras!” My brother raised his bow in acknowledgement to our lord’s praise and then swiftly returned to focusing his attacks the most dangerous foes. The battle raged long like this as the enemy slowly pushed us back. Our lines tightened to close the gaps left by our numerous dead. I looked behind us and then to my lord. “Sir where are reinforcements? Should not the harp be here by now?” Glorfindel did not look to me as he separated an uruk from its head.
“They will come! Stand firm Megilagor!” He shouted as he took the arm off and orc about thrust a spear at me. I turned quickly and swung my sword in a low arc relieving four orcs of their legs. I wiped black blood from my face and saw as more rogmuls approached our position. Glorfindel called us to face them as he cut down two large uruk’s pressing against him. A large fire worm was causing great death on the right and pushing the line backwards. Just as the demons were about approach us the spears of our soldiers pierced the heart of the worm and it fell with a great crash. It knocked a troll into Glorfindel and he stumbled back and one of the demons jumped to take advantage. I and three other knights leapt to cover our lord with our shields. With a mighty blow the demon’s sword clove my shield with a crack of fire. I felt the blade cut into my gauntlet and burn my flesh underneath. The pain was immense and I saw my death approaching as I could not loose my shield from the demon’s sword. An orc javelin cracked against my breastplate and I saw another demon cleave one of my comrades in half. I dropped to my knees as I struggled to free my shield. In my heart I felt my death approaching and looked to ensure that my sacrifice had saved Glorfindel. I did not see my lord and despaired when suddenly a bright blue flash like the striking of lighting cracked and I saw Glorfindel next to me his sword through the demon’s throat. My arm was pulled and I felt the muscles strain as the demon trashed in death. I dropped my shield and stood up with my sword ready. Maethallor helped me to my feet as the knights pressed with Glorfindel to cover me. I regained my footing and readied my sword.

“Thank you my lord.” I shouted. As he parried and countered attacks he jumped back and laughed.

“No thanks needed Megilagor. Now catch a breath and keep fighting.” I charged back into the fray and drove my sword into orc after orc as they attempted to overwhelm us. Slowly though they pushed us back till we in a tight arc around the archers. I saw my brother not more than fifteen feet behind me and called to him.

“How goes the fight Hathrodhras?” He let loose an arrow and did not avert his eyes from searching for targets.

“Our arrows are almost spent and yet they keep coming. Soon it will be sword and knife work for us.”

“You have done good this day with what arrows you spent. Join me on the line when you have no more death to send with your bow.” I shouted back at him as I parried a great axe swing from a hideous fat orc. I caught the axe and one of the soldiers skewered it with a spear. The lines were now mixed. Our losses were over half at that point and we all stood together as one and resisted the attack. It seemed our defeat was certain. The archers arrows were spent and they entered the fray alongside us their quick swords and knives slashing and stabbing. Alas though their lighter armor could not resist as well the many blows of the orcish blades and crushing trolls. Grim determination showed in Glorfindel’s eyes as his raged flared and he fought like the wind. I felt a great anger rise in my heart and cried out.

“Aure Entuluva!” In deadly desperation I fought resigned to death. Maethallor’s laughter had turned grim and now his song was of glory and death. We knew our end was approaching when suddenly at last a horn sounded and we saw the standards of the harp crash upon the flank of the enemy and drive deep into their lines. With a great shout they cried as they slaughtered the orcs.

“The Harp for the Flower! The Harp brings aid! For Gondolin!” We let loose a great cry of joy as they charged deep into the square driving back the orcs and opening the retreat to the king’s court. I saw that their lord was not at their head. It was not till after the battle that I learned their lord had betrayed us and was in league with the black dog Maeglin. I know not the name of the captain that lead the house of the harp in rebellion of their lord to aid us but I and all those that survived the siege owe them our lives. He had raven hair and carried a great longsword. He shouted to us as the full force of the harp made their valorous press against the orcs.

“Lord Glorfindel the other sides are all pressed back towards the king’s court! You and your force is needed their where the captains make their last defense. We will cover your retreat.”
Glorfindel shouted his acknowledgement and ordered me to grab the standard as the herald had fallen. I took our standard and followed my lord as we sprinted through the streets back towards the king’s court. I looked behind us as the warriors of the harp pushed the orcs back across the market square. I could see no standard and their lines lacked order. As we fell back I saw great dragon fall upon them and slaughter elf and orc alike. With no leader to order them as one they began to fall into clusters and circles as the heroic warriors made their last stand. In my heart I wanted to return and pull them back with us, but Glorfindel saw my thoughts as I hesitated in my stride and grabbed me with a stern voice.

“They sacrificed themselves so we could help organize a defense of the king’s court. Do not let it be in vain. Their lord is not among them and all our captains are needed to defend the inner court. We do not have the strength to relieve them. They bought us enough time to regroup and mount a last defense. Quickly now and let us hope the king yet lives.”

It tore my heart to leave them there to be surrounded and overwhelmed. It was an evil fate for so brave a host of warriors. Had their lord done his duty to his king perhaps maybe some may have survived. As it is the house of the harp sacrificed everything so Glorfindel could protect the king. After the battle those of us that survived the battle have immortalized them in memory by carrying a small silver harp with us into battle. Twice have others sacrificed themselves to guard our retreat. We will never forget either the men of Dor-lomin or the house of the harp. Until the last vestige of Morgoth’s evils are vanquished we swore to seek to bring vengeance and justice for those that sacrificed themselves and repay our blood debt. Thus it was with hearts full of rage and anger did we reach the king’s square. We were arrived late and already orcs were assailing what hasty barricades the others had thrown up. The king himself brought his royal knights, finest soldiers in the city, down to reinforce our lines. The glorious standards and heraldry of the Royal guards I watched drive against the orcs pressing them back. We, though exhausted from the fight in the market, charged the lines to aid Ecthelion’s forces. Glorfindel lead us like a spear into the fray carving deep towards his dear friend. There in the king’s court we made our final defense. Orcs poured over the barricades like a rising tide. We were pressed on all sides and all the remaining houses fought as one. I saw only though the standards of the King, Tuor, Ecthelion, Galdor, and Egalmoth there besides us. The battle kept going as the endless river of orcs came against us. We slew hundreds yet thousands more came. Trolls lay about the square like boulders yet more replaced them. Then the captain of the black host appeared. Gothmog great chieftain of the Balrogs came into the square and the orcs cowed from his presence. Fear struck my heart at the sight and I despaired. For a brief moment there was a dreadful stillness as the monster spread its wings and then let forth a roar in challenge. We looked across the square as the dreadful fire and shadow walked towards the Fountain of the King. Tuor mighty of the Edain stood against him but was thrown aside. Those few of the knights of the Golden flower and our lord, Glorfindel, could not make our way through the enemy to the protect the King’s fountain for we were holding the rear against an assault coming from the great market. Glorfindel let out a cry as he saw his friend Ecthelion, high warden of the fountain, standing alone against the monster. Ecthelion’s face was cold and grey like steel. He held his sword and stood at the edge of the fountain he had sworn to guard. Glorfindel turned as if to rush to Ecthelion’s aid but was stopped as a dragon came up from the market square and attempted to press towards the citadel. Glorfindel roared in rage as he turned his back to Ecthelion and fell upon the dragon. We echoed his cries and followed our lord. I will never forget what anger and pain was on his face as he was forced to leave his dear friend to face the lord of Balrogs alone. Tears fell down my lord’s face as we hacked and stabbed the dragon. As the dragon fell in ruin we turned to see across the square Ecthelion standing unarmed before Gothmog. Ecthelion’s sword arm was red with blood and hung limply. As we reformed our shield wall across the street Glorfindel looked back to his friend and watched as Ecthelion drove at the Lord of the Balrogs and grappled him. Ecthelion most valourious of all elder bereft of a weapon used weight to unbalance the great Gothmog and cast the Balrog into the pure waters of the King’s fountain. In great plume of smoke the fire of the monster was extinguished. A cry rang out from the Gondothlim as the Gothmog perished. Though we felt keenly a sadness in our hearts at the loss of so great and brave a captain as Ecthelion. Glorfindel cried out in a clear loud voice a warcry that all took up as we made our final defense.
“Ecthelion! Ecthelion! For Ecthelion!” He shouted at every blow of his sword. I had thought I had seen his rage before but now his sword was like a shaft of light and fire as the light of his anger shown in his eyes and orcs trembled before him. Not another stone we gave as we cried out in anger with every blow. Fear we struck in our foes hearts and ever after will Ecthelion’s name be a word of terror to the enemy. Alas though it soon became apparent that we would not defeat our enemy and if we could not retreat from the city we must die. It was then that the king cast aside his crown and gave command to Tuor. I then next saw our king upon the top of his tower crying out.

“Great is the victory of the Noldoli!”

Tuor called the remaining captains to his side and spoke with them. Our only hope was to flee the city by some secret way the princess had made out of the city. If children, women, and those that were not warriors were to survive the army had to guard them as they escaped. I could not hear well their counsels from my place in directing the defense of the eastern approach to the square, but they came to the decision that we must abandon the city. It stung my heart to leave but if any were to live we had to leave our home behind. Glorfindel grabbed our standard and rallied us to him.

“The Golden Flower will guard the rear of the retreat this time. Turn and face our foes and do not show them your backs. Not a single warrior will flee. They will meet our shields and swords like a wall. With our valour we will blockade the road against them. By our lives we will ensure the safety of the others. Now form up on me and stand firm against all assaults! We fall back as one unit. This is our last act. Our last fight my knights, my warriors! Remember those that sacrificed themselves for our sake! Now it is our time! Now we stand! Now we give no ground until everyone has escaped! For Dor-Lomin! For the Harp! For Ecthelion! For Gondolin!”

We echoed his cry and clashed our weapons as chanted our battle cry. We formed up at the south of the square in an arc protecting the road of Pomps as the rest of the army disengaged from battle and followed Tuor south across the city to the secret way. The only others that remained were the King and his royal guard in the tower. Orcs filled the great square and pressed against us. I saw them approach the tower as the royal guard made their last fight. Dragons shattered and smashed the fair buildings bringing ruin to the city. As our force slowly backed our shield wall down the road I saw the King’s tower collapse in ruin and I knew that our King had fallen with the city. We did not loose heart though and stood firm with our lord. Laboriously and slowly we fell back down the street. We stood across the street and pushed against the weight of the orcs. After what seemed like an age we found our backs to the escape tunnel the princess had ordered wrought in secret. We guarded the entrance as the last of the city escaped. Tuor called out from the tunnel to follow and so we made a hard press against our foe and threw them back. Turning on our heels we ran for the tunnel and threw the doors shut just as the orcs threw themselves against the door. The great stone doors held against their assaults and the entrance was too narrow for any of the dragons to smash its way in. We ran down the tunnel after the rest of the refuges. We emerged from the tunnel and ran across the plain. As we reached the mountains we looked back at the burning ruined city and saw in the east the first light of dawn. Glorfindel stood for a moment in the very rear and cried out. “Aure Entuluva!”

Slowly we worked our way through the mountains carefully guarding against any pursuers. Then as we were strung out along a narrow mountain path orcs appeared above us and cast stones down upon us. We held our shields aloft to stop the shower when to our great dismay a Balrog jumped down throwing some our men off the mountainside. I struggled to regain my feet as the orcs pelted us with stones and saw standing alone against the Balrog Glorfindel, my lord. He charged the Balrog and hewed its arms and legs. There the great lord of the Golden Flower gave his last act in defense of his city and people and like his dear friend Ecthelion threw himself against the Balrog and together fell into the deep gorge. Far below in the abyss he cast the ruin of his foe against the broken rocks. There perished and we cried out in anger and pain at the loss of our lord. I picked up our standard from the ground and pulled the burnt and ripped flag from the staff and shoved it inside my breastplate. I turned to the last of my knights, once two hundred and fifty now but seven and thirty. They stood in shock at our lord’s death and behind him the rest of the house’s warriors faltered in their step. I looked and saw despair and shock in their eyes. My brother’s face was blank and cold. Maethallor’s laughter was quiet as he looked to me for guidance. “What now commander?” I swallowed and shook my head. My voice came out of my throat reluctantly and graven.

“We go onward. Our lord is no more and with him our city, but the people of Gondolin live. We will continue doing as our lord last ordered and protect the princess and the other refugees. Do not despair. Day will come again even if we do not live to see it come. Rally your hearts and forward. Follow your captain’s orders and keep discipline. We are not yet out of danger. I do not command you to follow me as I only lead the knights, but if you will follow me I will attempt to do what I can to rally what remains of our house. If you do not wish to follow me then I entreat you to stay with Lord Tuor and the Princess Idril. As he rightly now holds lordship of Gondolin I will follow him wherever he goes and I will welcome any that comes with me.”
Maethallor showed a slight smile again and picked up his sword. “You are my captain and I will follow you into the very gates of Angband.” My brother stepped forward and placed his hand on my shoulder. “Nice speech, but we need to move before we get left behind.” I nodded as I saw Tuor leading the main body farther down the path. “Certainly, regardless if you all will follow me after there is only one way out of these mountains.” With those words I strode to the front of what remained of the warriors of the Golden Flower and followed after the rest of those fleeing the sack of Gondolin. Our great force which once numbered more than two thousand was not but a few hundred.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: